Friday, August 29, 2008

I live inside Eclipse

I have a fetish for Eclipse plugins. I use
  1. Mylyn for tasks management. Super-cool productivity plugin.
  2. Database Development Plugin. Replaces crappy DBArtisan on my desktop. Lets me perform basic database operations easily. Lightweight and super-fast.
  3. Azzuri clay Database Modelling plugin to create ER diagrams and generate DDLs from them; a basic feature that Micro$oft decided not to provide in Visio Professional edition.
  4. Beyond-CVS to integrate beyond-compare (my favourite comparison tool) with Eclipse.
  5. QuickREx for those esoteric regular expressions. I don't miss RegEx buddy now.
  6. Remote System Explorer for connecting to linux machines and running telnet/ssh/ftp shells.
  7. Eclipse web browser. Limited in features but helps during basic debugging or investigation when I want to search for an inexplicable ibatis error or how to convert dates to varchar and vice versa in the database (i always keep forgetting that). Also for keeping an eye on the latest on reddit :-). Wish it offered tabbed browsing.

My wish List

  1. A Mind map plugin to let me gather my thoughts.
  2. More powerful text editor. I use block-editing heavily.
  3. A plugin for MS Outlook that lets me attach emails to Mylyn tasks.
  4. A plugin for MS Excel
  5. A powerful desktop indexing and search plugin.

Amen.

3 comments:

Mik Kersten said...

Interesting post Rahul. My reply turned into a post of its own: Living inside Eclipse, embedding browsers and Google Chrome

--
Mik Kersten
President & CTO, http://tasktop.com/blog
Project Lead, http://eclipse.org/mylyn

Unknown said...

Hi, nice post - I *don't* wanna leave eclipse either!

I have been using the NOA4e plugin to integrate open office into eclipse, it's seems to work fine so far, and works fine with mylyn.

I tried opening spreadsheets and word documents within eclipse using MS office, but there seem to be OLE problems that mean it just doesn't work cleanly.

Rain is here said...

Hi,

Do you have a post that shows how to send data from java application to chrome extension or vice versa?

A simple passing of current url of the browser is fine.

Thanks,