Thursday, July 10, 2008

Java Code Review Tools

Today I gave a presentation to the team on java code review tools. I covered 2 tools in detail, PMD and Jupiter. while I was talking about them, I realized that both the tools can do with some improvements.

PMD
  • Improved filtering to allow me to run the tool on selective files.

Jupiter

  • Must let me view defects data in a more user friendly way. I want to be able to view all defects and then aply filters on them. The functionality is there but not in the way I want it.
  • Must allow me to generate reports on defects metrics.
  • The workflow is confusing (why should i choose a reviewer in the 'rework' phase ?). The process should be simplified.
  • There should be a filtering icon in each view.

Note to self: Explore option of adding these features yourself.

1 comment:

Digital Signage Solutions said...

Nice information on Java code review tool. Codereview tools are very important tool for any developer. Thanks for sharing